Academic & career interests
I am a veterinary medical student at the University of California, Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine (class of 2020). I am especially interested in working dogs, interdisciplinary cooperation, and ecology. I am an officer (2LT) in the United States Army Veterinary Corps (AMEDD-VC). I have found the US military to be an ideal outlet for me to serve the local, national, and global community, and military veterinary medicine will compose my first career out of veterinary school. Within the next 20 years, I am interested in becoming boarded in veterinary preventative medicine (VPM) and doing an MPVM and/or MPH and course in International Ag Development at UC Davis around 2027. I hold a bachelor's of science in Animal Biology from the University of California, Davis. I am a proud community college transfer student from Diablo Valley College.
My experiences as a pre-vet (pre-2016) were heavily wildlife, research, and small animal private practice. When I retire from the Army, I can see myself starting a veterinary clinic (possibly a mobile/home visit practice) or working with a public health/global health agency. At some point I want to start breeding English Pointers. I am happiest when I am heavily involved in many things and thrive with variety and diversity in my daily life; a big reason I am attracted to Army veterinary medicine. One of my life goals is to have such diverse source of income through entrepreneurship and investments such that vet med will be my passion independent of my financial livelihood. I'll always have numerous side projects such as entrepreneurship, teaching, mentoring, civic service, community involvement, and international and humanitarian voluntourism.
Current professional activities:
- Volunteer on the Iditarod Veterinary Team.
- Improve Spanish speaking skills in conversation and medical interview
- Learn Arabic and Tagalog to proficient level of conversation, writing, and reading.
- Get experience in civic service and politics
- Thru-hike the Tahoe Rim Trail, bike tour the Western Express, bike tour Europe
- Visit my extended family in the Philippines, Jordan, and England/Wales
- Visit Hawaii, Alaska, Bali, Iceland, and Australia
- SCUBA dive in Iceland between continental plates
- SCUBA dive the Great Barrier Reef